[PLUG] Data exchange/transfer application?

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Wed Aug 2 21:59:29 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-02 at 14:48 -0700, Kurt Sussman wrote:
> Wil Cooley (wcooley at nakedape.cc) typed this ...
> > I've looked on Freshmeat and maybe I'm not using the right keywords.
> > Does anyone know of an server or application for automating moving
> > around files?  This is for EDI and similar files; basically, we have
> > dozens of jobs that pull files from one server and push them to another,
> > in some cases making transformations like encrypting them with PGP.
>
> I guess you can't run the process on the machine on which the files
> originate? I have used 'dnotify', but it wants to see new files by just
> opening a local directory. Source is available, so I guess it could be
> hacked, but it sounds like you're looking for an "install configure run"
> solution.
>
> > I can imagine describing these processes in a higher-level language than
> > what I have now, but I haven't actually found anything that does this.
>
> Hmm. Maybe 'monit' could do it? It can do lots of things, is somewhat
> pluggable, and knows about sending email on events.

Hm, not really.  I really only have full access to my host itself, which
you might think of as a hub for these transfers.  The problem isn't
figuring out that the files are there, it's concisely and effectively
representing and monitoring the transfers themselves.

Wil
--
Wil Cooley <wcooley at nakedape.cc>
Naked Ape Consulting, Ltd