[PLUG] Thanks for the help Acer Laptop

Daniel Hedlund daniel at digitree.org
Thu Aug 3 02:42:03 UTC 2006

Galen Seitz wrote:
>> I did stick my tongue onto the end of the power supply and I can say
>> it works.
>>
> Kids, please don't try this at home!  I assumed that suggestion would be
> interpreted as a joke, but apparently not.  While touching a standard 9V
> battery to your tongue doesn't present much danger, an AC adapter is a
> different story.  A poorly designed or failing adapter could present a
> serious risk.  Please use a voltmeter to check something like this.

Absolutely!  I had mentioned for the user to use a ammeter, but was
probably foolish enough to mention the alternative which they could try
if they were "stupid enough".  I probably should have added an
additional warning explaining "why" I said "stupid enough ..." though.
It's really about weighing risks.  The voltage that comes out of the
power brick is DC 12-17v and thus doesn't oscillate near your heart
rate, but the amperage (1-2.5amp) is sufficiently high enough that it
definitely is no 9v battery either!  A wet tongue and the proximity
between positive and negative make it less likely that it could kill
you, but with an undiagnosed heart problem it is still possible.  I
never thought to take in consideration that the power brick might
exhibit excessive current such as if a resistor failed or a capacitor
was overcharging itself; you have brought this to my attention as a
valid possibility.  In my case, I've been stupid enough far too many
times when an ammeter isn't handy, but I was willing to take that risk
at the time.  For reference, what I originally recommended is below:

"You can test this by using an ammeter on the end of the cable...or for
those people who are poor or stupid enough like myself, you could always
try sticking your tongue on the end of the cord"

Cheers,

Daniel Hedlund
daniel at digitree.org