[PLUG] ReactOS

plug_0 at robinson-west.com plug_0 at robinson-west.com
Wed Aug 2 21:55:41 UTC 2006

Quoting plug_0 at robinson-west.com:

> Anyone here familiar with it?  It's an attempt to implement the Win32
> API's and it's under the GPL.  Looks like it's in beta, unfortunately.
>
> http://www.reactos.org/xhtml/en/index.html
>
> If the developers can get it far enough along, maybe it will support
> old Windows games.  I think they should stabilize what they have and
> see if programmers who won't develop for Linux will accept ReactOS.
> It looks like the ReactOS teams needs more programmers in it.
>
> Regards,
>
> Michael C. Robinson

I wanted to try installing it directly, but couldn't get that to work.
Anyone know if there is an alternative to floppy boot of ReactOS?  I
get the impression that the install to MBR option doesn't install
anything.  The developers of ReactOS should get away from putting
the bootloader in the MBR in my opinion and shoot for grub/lilo
compatibility.  I want to run it directly on the hardware.  It would
be a lot more convenient to install the bootloader to the ReactOS
partition and have grub launch it.  Maybe the ReactOS people need to
talk to the FreeDos people.

Aside...
What's up with Freedos being stuck in hard freeze?

Regards,

Michael C. Robinson