[PLUG] Data exchange/transfer application?

Larry Brigman larry.brigman at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 16:55:35 UTC 2006

On 8/3/06, Wil Cooley <wcooley at nakedape.cc> wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-08-02 at 17:08 -0700, Aaron Burt wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 02, 2006 at 03:59:28PM -0700, Wil Cooley wrote:
> > > I wonder if it's a problem that's too easily solved in the simple
> > > cases for anyone to have bothered solving it in the bigger?  When I
> > > say bigger, I'm talking about 200+ configured transfers, which is why
> > > a pile of shell scripts around wget, scp, etc are no longer adequate.
> >
> > Exactly.  I still don't understand what about your problem wouldn't be
> > trivial to handle with common shell tools, and a simple tabular file of
> > file-transfer specs.
>
> It would be like implementing an MTA with netcat and shell.

Starting to sound like a new open source project to me.
A few primary pieces.
1) something to parse configuration files for transfers
2) Simple linkage mechanism for starting transfers (triggers,cron,
directory watch)
3) Generalized code for running/monitoring the transfer utilities with
    a method to re-schedule when the transfer fails.
4) Possibly a database to allow this to all be tied together (sqlite)
5) A GUI interface to allow non-technical people to easily add and
remove transfers