[PLUG] centos4.3 rpmbuild not working as normal user

Galen Seitz galens at seitzassoc.com
Mon Aug 7 17:03:27 UTC 2006

In the past I have been able to build rpm packages on my CentOS 4.3
(x86_64) system as a normal user, but something has broken.  Now the
prep and build stages seem to be NOPs, causing the install stage to
complain about missing files.

I'm using the cdecl source rpm as distributed by CentOS for testing.
This is a small and presumably known-good package.

Any ideas what might be wrong?

galen

[galens at toto ~]$ rpm -qi rpm-build
Name        : rpm-build                    Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 4.3.3                             Vendor: CentOS
Release     : 13_nonptl                     Build Date: Thu 09 Mar 2006 01:02:49 AM PST
Install Date: Sat 01 Apr 2006 10:23:36 AM PST      Build Host: nasha.karan.org
Group       : Development/Tools             Source RPM: rpm-4.3.3-13_nonptl.src.rpm
Size        : 1674436                          License: GPL
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Tue 14 Mar 2006 02:08:25 PM PST, Key ID a53d0bab443e1821Packager    : Karanbir Singh <kbsingh at centos.org>
Summary     : Scripts and executable programs used to build packages.
Description :
The rpm-build package contains the scripts and executable programs
that are used to build packages using the RPM Package Manager.

Here I run the prep stage as a normal user.  The cdecl directory does
not get created under BUILD.

[galens at toto ~]$ cat .rpmmacros
%_topdir        /home/galens/rpm
[galens at toto ~]$ rpm -i download/cdecl-2.5-30.src.rpm
warning: user buildcentos does not exist - using root
warning: group buildcentos does not exist - using root
warning: user buildcentos does not exist - using root
warning: group buildcentos does not exist - using root
warning: user buildcentos does not exist - using root
warning: group buildcentos does not exist - using root
[galens at toto ~]$ cd rpm/SPECS/
[galens at toto SPECS]$ rpmbuild -bp cdecl.spec
Executing(%prep): /bin/sh -e /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.92486
[galens at toto SPECS]$ ls ../BUILD/cdecl*
ls: ../BUILD/cdecl*: No such file or directory
[galens at toto SPECS]$

Here I run the prep stage as root.  The cdecl directory is created
under BUILD.

[galens at toto ~]$ su
Password:
[root at toto galens]# rpm -i download/cdecl-2.5-30.src.rpm
warning: user buildcentos does not exist - using root
warning: group buildcentos does not exist - using root
warning: user buildcentos does not exist - using root
warning: group buildcentos does not exist - using root
warning: user buildcentos does not exist - using root
warning: group buildcentos does not exist - using root
[root at toto galens]# cd /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/
[root at toto SPECS]# rpmbuild -bp cdecl.spec
Executing(%prep): /bin/sh -e /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.39676
+ umask 022
+ cd /usr/src/redhat/BUILD
+ LANG=C
+ export LANG
+ unset DISPLAY
+ cd /usr/src/redhat/BUILD
+ rm -rf cdecl-2.5
+ /bin/gzip -dc /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/cdecl-2.5.tar.gz
+ tar -xf -
+ STATUS=0
+ '[' 0 -ne 0 ']'
+ cd cdecl-2.5
++ /usr/bin/id -u
+ '[' 0 = 0 ']'
+ /bin/chown -Rhf root .
++ /usr/bin/id -u
+ '[' 0 = 0 ']'
+ /bin/chgrp -Rhf root .
+ /bin/chmod -Rf a+rX,u+w,g-w,o-w .
+ echo 'Patch #0 (cdecl-2.5.misc.patch):'
Patch #0 (cdecl-2.5.misc.patch):
+ patch -p1 -b --suffix .misc -s
+ exit 0
[root at toto SPECS]# ls ../BUILD/cdecl*
c++decl.1  cdecl.c       cdgram.y  Makefile       README   testset++
cdecl.1    cdecl.c.misc  cdlex.l   Makefile.misc  testset
[root at toto SPECS]#