[PLUG] Laptops and warranties

Dwight Hubbard dwight.hubbard at gmail.com
Mon Aug 7 18:25:57 UTC 2006

Honestly, I would much rather put the money I would spend on the warranty
into a decent investment when I buy the laptop.  I do this for three
reasons:
1. Depreciation - By the time the manufacturers warranty is up often times
the computer is worth about the same or just slightly more than the amount
spent for the extedded warranty.
2. If I get a lemon laptop that keeps requiring repairs, use the money I put
aside to buy a different brand or model of laptop, extedded manufacturer
warranties effectively lock you into that model of laptop.
3. None of the money is getting wasted to pay people who's job it is to find
some reason the repair isn't covered.
4. The money can be used to replace the battery
5. I can use the money in the investment to upgrade to a new laptop if I
don't use it for repairs.

Like you said the warranty is a bet.  Just like in Vegas the companies
offering the warranty have done the math and made sure they will on average
make more money off of you than they pay out.