[PLUG] Laptops and warranties

alan alan at clueserver.org
Mon Aug 7 18:41:50 UTC 2006

On Mon, 7 Aug 2006, Dwight Hubbard wrote:

> Honestly, I would much rather put the money I would spend on the warranty
> into a decent investment when I buy the laptop.  I do this for three
> reasons:
> 1. Depreciation - By the time the manufacturers warranty is up often times
> the computer is worth about the same or just slightly more than the amount
> spent for the extedded warranty.
> 2. If I get a lemon laptop that keeps requiring repairs, use the money I put
> aside to buy a different brand or model of laptop, extedded manufacturer
> warranties effectively lock you into that model of laptop.
> 3. None of the money is getting wasted to pay people who's job it is to find
> some reason the repair isn't covered.
> 4. The money can be used to replace the battery
> 5. I can use the money in the investment to upgrade to a new laptop if I
> don't use it for repairs.
>
> Like you said the warranty is a bet.  Just like in Vegas the companies
> offering the warranty have done the math and made sure they will on average
> make more money off of you than they pay out.

None of which helps you if you drop it, it gets knocked off a table or
someone pours Mike's Hard lemonade into the keyboard.

The warrenty I have covers all of the above.  And even after 2 years, it
is still a pretty fast laptop.  (HP zv5000z.  AMD64 3700+ with an nVIDIA
440 go chipset and a 1920x1200 resolution screen.)

Warrenties do not just cover defects, they cover accidents as well. (At
least the good ones do...)