[PLUG] Fry's Stories (was Cat-6 ... )

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Thu Aug 10 12:24:37 UTC 2006

A couple of years ago, I showed moral failure and went to Fry's for
a laptop drive.  The lowest price was on outpost.com, the price was
decent at Enu, and the shelf price at Wilsonville Fry's was the
highest.  I pointed out the ad in Computer Bits to the felon\\\\\
sales associate at the Drive Altar, who proceeded to the runaround.
"Why don't we call them and verify that price?" sez he, and starts
a phone call to Enu.  At the time, it took Enu about 5 minutes to
answer the phone, and he gave up after 30 seconds.  "Too bad" sez
he, "Nobody there".  I did the John-like scowl and basket abandonment
maneuver, and burned some dinosaurs up to Hillsboro.  I didn't go
back to Fry's for a year.  While moral weakness has taken hold
again (I stop by when in Wilsonville for other reasons), it did
cost them business.

Note to John:  there is often a Portland phone book near the pay
phone by the bathrooms at Fry's.  Also, 411 on the cell phone.
And here's the info for PCH Cables (www.pchcables.com):

Monday thru Friday 10:00 AM - 6:00 PM  / (503) 629-3200
2020 NW Aloclek Drive, Suite 107 (On Cornelius Pass Road), Hillsboro
It is closer to Portland than Wilsonville is, and Enu is nearby
for other computer gizzies.

UPS ground takes one day from Hillsboro to Beaverton, and I have done
that a couple of times when I was willing to wait.

And finally, this is a chance to get misty eyed and remember our
dear departed fiend\\\\\friend Gary Groesshoeme of Oregon Electronics,
which was located at NE 9th and Davis and had all sorts of adapters
and cabling and jacks at pretty decent prices.  He did not have rock
bottom prices, but he was always good for half an hour of good advice
and great conversation - worth a little extra.  We miss you, Gary!

Keith