[PLUG] pkg-config reports wrong library version

Ian Burrell ianburrell at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 16:30:41 UTC 2006

On 8/10/06, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
>    Does anyone here know how to change the library version reported by
> pkg-config when it's queried during the configure phase?
>
>    My problem is that 'pkg-config --modversion glib-2.0' returns 2.8.6, when
> 2.12.1 is actually installed. The autotools get confused when they're told
> one version is installed but they find a different version.
>
>    Neither the man page nor the mail list archives on the freedesk web site
> have anything helpful.

You might want to figure out which .pc file pkg-config is finding and
look at it.  One possibility is that you have two versions installed
and it isn't finding the newer one's .pc file. This is quite possible
if you are using a different prefix. The PKG_CONFIG_SEARCH_PATH
controls the search path.  Another is that the new version wasn't
installed properly and didn't install its .pc file.

The --debug option spits out lots of debugging info.

 - Ian