[PLUG] Recommended Reading for Home Networking Cable Install?

David Duncan dduncan at hexi.com
Sat Aug 12 09:02:19 UTC 2006

alan wrote:

> As if that helps against unknown exploits...
>
> If you really want to protect against unknown exploits, I suggest using
> a pair of wire cutters to sever all network cables, followed by
> embedding the system in a combination of concrete, thermite and magnesium.
>
> It is the only way to be sure.

We weren't talking about absolute security (the fairy-tale), or security
against someone that has physical access to the computer and/or network
(a very very difficult problem as implied above).

We were talking about wireless vs wired, i.e., we'd already decided to
network.  All other things being equal, I say:

[OS/net weakness]   <   ( [OS/net weakness] + [wireless weakness] )

Is it worth it to use wireless when there isn't any convenient
alternative?  That's a completely different question.