[PLUG] milter

Elliott Mitchell ehem at m5p.com
Wed Aug 16 02:45:40 UTC 2006

>From: Jeme A Brelin <jeme at brelin.net>
> Does anyone else use milter or is it just time for me to stop using
> sendmail?

Yes and no. Folks using Postfix or Qmail, aren't actually using Sendmail,
but they're almost certainly using the Milter interface. Everyone copied
the interface for Spam filtering.

>From: Daniel Hedlund <daniel at digitree.org>
> Also, doesn't the Debian community officially prefer Exim[4] now?  I
> think that's the default email server under Debian.  Does anybody know
> any other distributions that also choose Exim as their default?

Yes, and I sure as heck wish the Exim disaster wasn't the preference.
Using the package install scripts, all the other MTAs are similarly
simple to setup in simple installations. For complex installations Exim
isn't suitable, so why bother?

Further, during the Exim 3 days, they were making Sendmail look like Fort
Knox. I was glad to avoid needing security patches several times a month.
Further, Exim doesn't support support the username+tag syntax; the big 3
all support it, and this is very helpful for filtering.