[PLUG] Recommended Reading for Home Networking Cable Install?

plug_0 at robinson-west.com plug_0 at robinson-west.com
Tue Aug 15 18:14:59 UTC 2006

Quoting Paul Mullen <pm at nellump.net>:

> On Fri, Aug 11, 2006 at 12:39:54PM -0700, User Iam wrote:
> >
> > Does WIRELESS  mean anything to anybody???
>
> Yes, it means "slow", "insecure", and "unreliable".
>
> > Why drag wire if you DON'T need to???
>
> Because it's the only way to make full use of anything faster than
> 10Mb Ethernet.

I'm not aware of any way to do network root and network booting over a
wireless lan.  It's important to note that network root over wireless
would magnify all the security problems.  Lose signal, lose host.
I don't think anyone has played with networking enough till they
have experimented with remote root and network booting.  For large
distributed computing environments, the cost savings can be
incredible.  While wired networks are supposedly more secure than
wireless ones, it's important to note that wire tapping can
become a big time issue with copper cables.  You csn't wire tap
a radio signal.  A software secure wireless network could indeed
be safer than a wired one that is vulnerable to tapping, but not
as fast.  Has 54mbps wireless been exceeded yet?

Regards,

Michael C. Robinon