[PLUG] existing colo/bandwidth co-ops in PDX?

Andrew Grover andy.grover at gmail.com
Sat Aug 19 20:10:08 UTC 2006

On 8/19/06, GLL <guy1656 at opusnet.com> wrote:
> : Are there any in PDX? I have some friends in the Bay involved with
> : http://bandwagon.to/ and it seems like a good idea that would do well
> : here, too.
> : I might be up for *starting* one, but I'd much rather join an existing one
> My wife and I were just thinking of that too. What about siting a co/lo in the
> now-unused containment bldg out at Trojan? You keep the servers in the cool
> and secure concrete eggshell, and you could have thin-client access from the
> admin building (not radioactive) and keep the servers well locked-up and
> guarded, not to mention a couple of rings of fencing and gates between the
> servers and the outside world.
> Backup/stby power would also be a total cinch.
> Another nice impact would be that to the extent that competent staff could be
> hired from the Scappoose, St. Helens, or Ranier, OR areas, it would trim down
> a number of private cars these people are driving up & over Cornelius Pass
> twice a day.

Wow that's ambitious :)

I was thinking more on the lines of renting a half or full rack in an
existing colo -- this would give each person a lower space and
bandwith cost, over each person getting colo space on their own.

The questions I'm currently wondering about are if there would be
enough people willing to join a co-op, and if the savings would be
enough to make it worthwhile.

Regards -- Andy