[PLUG] Setting the Refresh rate for FC5???

Daniel Hedlund daniel at digitree.org
Mon Aug 21 04:16:58 UTC 2006

William A Morita wrote:
> I am using FC5 with a Dell E173FP flat screen.
> The monitor claims that 1280 X 1024 @60Hz is the "optimal" setting.
> The only refresh rate that is selectable is 75Hz.
> XP has no problem offering a 60Hz refresh.
> At 1280 X 1024 @75Hz resolution some of the smaller text flickers.
> I am unable to set the refresh rate to 60 Hz
> I have poked at xorg.conf.
> There does not seem to be a setting in there for refresh rate.

I assume you've tried using the "Screen Resolution" program under
Preferences in GNOME and found that it only displays 75Hz, correct?  I'm
also assuming that you're using the standard [S]VGA connector as opposed
to DVI.  Have you tried changing your monitor type to something else
(Generic LCD Display/LCD Panel 1280x1024, or even one of the generic CRTs)?

Another solution that might be easier is in the "Monitor" section of
your X11 configuration file, set the vertical refresh to only 60Mhz:

Section "Monitor"
     VertRefresh  60.0 - 60.0
EndSection

Depending on the type of video card you're using, it might also be
corrected with proprietary NVidia or ATI video drivers.

Cheers,

Daniel Hedlund
daniel at digitree.org