[PLUG] Docs not local...

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 18:13:19 UTC 2006

On 8/22/06, plug_0 at robinson-west.com <plug_0 at robinson-west.com> wrote:
> Fine Rogan, but at some point interest is lost in the current release
> of Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora Core, etc.  It is likely to get harder
> to find relevant docs online.  You can't always upgrade your Linux
> distribution because support for older computers is quickly dropping.
> You have to have a 400 mhz Pentium for Fedora Core 5 and it is
> supposedly optimized for the P4.

See, I just don't believe that it's becoming that much more difficult
to get a current distro on old hardware (There is one exception:  If
your hardware doesn't support networking and has no input devices
newer than a 5.25" disk -- even then, you can still install almost any
version of slackware.).  The kernel has improved in performance and
hardware support constantly over the years, and the infinite
customizability means you can remove bloated packages in favor of more
streamlined applications and environments.

The defaults of the mainstream distros have changed, and now those
defaults (such as gnome / kde) take more resources as the defaults
used in older versions -- however that does not mean that the "lean"
apps are no longer available.  There is still a large segment of the
computing market that deals with new, but computationally weak
machines (compared to the current desktops).  Kiosks and embeded
devices come to mind.

Unless you start citing references, and demonstrate that you've made
an honest attempt at the things you say are impossible, I see no
reason to believe your ramblings.  Particularly since my experience is
contrary to your statements.

> Maybe what is needed is an rsyncable repository of high quality documentation
> written with the future in mind.

This is much what TLDP was -- I'm not sure of the state of it now,
however.  (Note that tldp wasn't that much different from a wiki that
was printable....)

> As far as answering ones questions
> by looking at the source Rogan, how can you manage to be quick enough with
> that method?  Source perusal takes a lot of time and requires a lot of skill.

Sorry, I forgot the <sarcasm></sarcasm> tags when I posted that
satirical comment.

I *have* looked at the source to figure out what an app does, but
that's just because I'm weird.

--Rogan