[PLUG] DHCP Question

Bill Thoen bthoen at gisnet.com
Wed Aug 23 20:51:07 UTC 2006

I just installed Fedora Core 5 as a workstation using pretty much the
default settings. This morning the machine was running Windows XP and
the DHCP connection to the internet was working fine (i.e. all hardware
and connections were okay.) But for some reason FC5 on this same machine
isn't geting a DHCP connection. It recognizes the eth0 card, but seems
to hang trying to get IP information and then fails to connect.

Since I know all the hardware was okay, I assume this is due to some
configuration setting that I don't know about. I'm sort of new to this,
so I don't even know what to look for or what info to report to get
help. Can someone get me started?

I did notice in in the Gnome "Network proxy" utility that it's set to
"direct connection to the Internet" and I don't think that's right, but
I don't know what to change it to, if I should change it at all.

Any help on this problem or how to track it down would be much appreciated!

TIA,
- Bill Thoen