[PLUG] DHCP Question

Larry Brigman larry.brigman at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 14:50:35 UTC 2006

On 8/24/06, Bill Thoen <bthoen at gisnet.com> wrote:
> Curiouser and curiouser... It seems that during the night a miracle
> occured, because when I started up the machine this morning everything
> worked. The problem with the eth0 card not getting a DHCP connection
> seems to have fixed itself! Apparently, waiting 5 minutes yesterday
> before a cold boot wasn't long enough (which I tried twice), but waiting
> all night did the trick.
>
> So I guess there's some truth to the rumour that if you have a machine
> with nVidia chips and something called "forcedeth" and you run Windows
> XP before you install Linux, that Windows leaves the ethernet card in
> such a state of shock and awe that it won't connect to DHCP under FC5
> (even though all evidence other than the obvious says it's working)
> until you shut the whole thing down for a while (longer than 5 minutes.)

Modern machine don't power all the way off when you press the power
button.  One of the things that is left on is the ethernet chip as it has
an option to wake up the machine from what would otherwise be an
off condition.  This is a management option of most motherboards these
days.  That option should be able to be turned off in the bios setup.