[PLUG] Invisible Cursor

Daniel Hedlund daniel at digitree.org
Tue Aug 29 07:35:14 UTC 2006

Carlos Konstanski wrote:
> If you're using an nvidia card with the nv driver, why not take the next
> step and use the nvidia driver from nvidia corp (rather than the nv
> driver in the kernel)?  If the problem is a driver issue, then a
> different, better (opengl) driver just may fix it, and you'll be able to
> play tux racer too.

Unfortunately, people who experience the problem with the "nv" driver
also seem to experience the same problem with the [proprietary] "nvidia"
driver.  It appears to be more related to using hardware acceleration to
draw the mouse with certain video cards.  It could be corrected in the
driver, but it's part of an initial flaw possibly in the chipset; I
don't know enough about this to be sure, just read the bug reports at
RedHat and upstream at freedesktop.org.  The problem goes away for most
people by turning off the hardware accelerated mouse support in the
X.org configuration file, which the bug reports explain how to do as a
workaround.

Cheers,

Daniel Hedlund
daniel at digitree.org