[PLUG] Invisible Cursor

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Aug 29 14:31:30 UTC 2006

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006, Bill Thoen wrote:

> I just like the black background and white text of the text inteface
> better than the white background and black font of the terminal window
> when I need to do any coding or editing, but it seems like it's a bit of a
> chore to get it on this machine and distro.

Bill,

   Nah, it isn't the machine or the distribution.

   What virtual terminals are you running? rxvt? eterm? aterm? xterm? All of
'em support the command line options of '-fg white -bg black'. You can
change the cursor color, put the scroll bar on the right instead of on the
left, and do all sorts of customization. Look at the man pages for the
details. My preference is for rxvt, but I use an xterm within pine, and both
a- and eterms support transparency if you like looking at the pattern of
your root window decoration behind your text. Cool effect, but I found it
too distracting for older eyes.

   From within X, whichever desktop/window manager you use to invoke
applications will let you specify the command line to invoke terminal
windows. Put the options there.

   Well, there goes the morning as you have fun trying different virtual
terminals and deciding just which options you want for them. :-)