[PLUG] Invisible Cursor

Bill Thoen bthoen at gisnet.com
Tue Aug 29 18:49:05 UTC 2006

Daniel Hedlund wrote:

> I have a question for you.  Have you ever thought about running X just
> once and using <CTRL>+<ALT>+F1|F2|F3|F4|F5|F5 to get to the text
> console...and then <CTRL>+<ALT>+F7 to return to the GUI?  It would
> save you from having to continually start and stop X all the time.

??? ! Hmm, no I didn't know you could do that. We newbies who are so
used to Windows and DOS have to unlearn a few things.

> One of the things I really really like to do with my terminals is to
> use gnome-terminal, set the background to black, foreground to white,
> remove all scrollbars and menubars.  I then set up a shortcut key
> inside the keyboard shortcuts preference to make <ALT>+<ENTER> enter
> fullscreen mode.  I then go <ALT>+<ENTER> and I'm presented with a
> fullscreen terminal window that is almost indistinguishable from the
> normal console...except that it's running at a higher resolution, has
> the fonts I choose to use and I can run X apps (ie. Firefox) without
> having to get sidetracked and start X.

I'll take a look Gnome terminal soonest. Your last two paragraphs pretty
much point the way to getting me where I want to be. Thanks again!

> Warning to other clueless Linux newbies... Don't buy a machine with
> nVidia chips in it and expect smooth sailing with FC5!!  But if you
> do, then at least you can get great help on this forum!
>
> Just to comment on NVidia cards and the invisible cursor problem.  The
> problem is in absolutely no way specific to Fedora Core 5.  The
> problem exists with just about all of the major Linux distributions as
> it is a problem with X.org

Yes, but my earlier problem of not being able to get my NIC to connect
was also directly related to nVidia chips . So I'm a little less than
impressed with those chips. Of course, I still know so little perhaps I
should be sparing with the negative comments until I actually know what
I'm talking about...