[PLUG] Emacs: Search/Replace in a Defined Column

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Wed Aug 30 00:24:58 UTC 2006

>>>>> "Rich" == Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> writes:

Rich>    I cannot find this information in either the ORA "Learning
Rich> GNU Emacs" or on the web with a Google search.

Rich>    A data file consists of columns of numbers. Within a single
Rich> column I want to search for a specific integer value and replace
Rich> that with a string. I cannot figure out how to block such a
Rich> region. When I press ctrl-enter to highlight the first column,
Rich> and continue down the file, entire lines are blocked.

Rich>    What's frustrating is that my old DOS editor, Multi-Edit, had
Rich> this capability and was tremendously useful for manipulating
Rich> large numeric data files such as satellite imagery. I'm sure
Rich> that over the past three decades or so, someone's had a need to
Rich> mark a block within emacs and operate just within that.

C-h i

Look for "Rectangles"

--
Russell Senior, Secretary