[PLUG] Rectangular Editing

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Aug 31 13:55:43 UTC 2006

   A couple of days ago I asked about editing a rectangular region using
emacs, and Russell pointed me to the docs on how to do this. While emacs
will let me block and move (or delete) a rectangular region within the text
file, it won't let me edit within it. That is, no restricted find or search
and replace.

   This morning (too late for this one data file I was modifying a couple of
days ago), I re-discovered that 'joe' can do this. Press ctrl-t x, and use
the usual block marking commands (ctrl-k b and ctrl-k k) to mark the
rectangular area. Within that one can find (using ctrl-k f) and search and
replace (ctrl-k r).

   Do not take this as a slur on emacs, but as a resource for when you, too,
need to change columns in a data file.