[PLUG] Voicetronix...

plug_0 at robinson-west.com plug_0 at robinson-west.com
Wed Aug 30 18:37:26 UTC 2006

For the hardware on http://www.voicetronix.com.au/index.htm,
does anyone have any experience with it?  I could use some help
understanding the terminology.  What is SIP?  How about FXO and
FXS?

I've looked into the Skutch CK-4 and Teltone line simulators, they
are exorbitently expensive and I'd have to replace some phone lines.
Worse than that, I have more than 4 locations that should have their
own phone number if possible in my network.

In a few places I have wireless links, but no phone lines.  For cost
and appearance reasons, I don't want to run physical lines everywhere.

Do the voicetronix products only allow people to spread a POTS line(s)
over an IP network?  I want to allow telephony across my ethernet
lan, but not beyond it unless a code is entered.  I want to avoid
expensive POTS simulators.

PSTN phone lines are too expensive and there aren't enough of them coming
in anyways for every single room in my network.

Can the Linksys made Vonage routers be reprogrammed to work with open source
software?  I wish Voicetronix would offer a nice solution similar to the
Linksys router that Vonage uses.  There are plenty of people talking about
VoIP as a paid service, but what about those of us who want to deploy it
over our own private lan?

Michael C. Robinson