[PLUG] LCD thingies

Galen Seitz galens at seitzassoc.com
Fri Dec 1 22:13:29 UTC 2006

Jeme A Brelin wrote:

> There are all kinds of interesting little specifications for each one
> and I have a vague idea of what each of them would mean in terms of
> performance.  However, if a person has an opinion on a drop-dead minimum
> contrast ratio, I'd like to hear it.  I'm seeing that the difference in
> price really jumps between 800:1 and 1000:1.  Am I really going to be
> disappointed with the lesser contrast?

Unless things have changed, there isn't a standardized spec for
measuring contrast.  Different manufacturers may not measure contrast
in the same way.  Hence contrast numbers should be taken with a huge
grain of salt.

> Is there another vital spec?  I'm assuming 6ms DVI is what I really want.

Because you are watching movies, a monitor with faster response may be
desirable.  You probably want something with a sub 10 ms number.

galen