[PLUG] Setup external modem?

tonyr tonyr at hevanet.com
Sat Dec 2 23:26:07 UTC 2006

At the last Linux Clinic, Chuck Metzger was there (left his modem, but
that's
another story).  I, with the help of some others, installed Edgy and
tried to
set up the external modem for him.  We didn't have the modem connected at
the time, and I used System->Administration->Networking to do the setup,
and I added the modem app (icon) to the tool bar.  Chuck called me this
afternoon
to say that he couldn't get the modem to work, that the drop-down menu that
offered Activation/Deactivation had those items grayed out (he said that he
used to use the Activation item to get the modem to dial).  I got out my old
external modem and went through the same installation process on my system,
with the same result.  I'm sure that the modem is talking to the system
(correct params, minicom carries on a reasonable conversation with it).  I'm
sure I'm missing something here, and I haven't used an external modem in
a long
time.  The Ubuntu wiki offered not much more information (I did go
through the
pppconfig process and tried wvdial, which only confirmed that it could
talk to the modem).  My modem not actually connected to a phone line,
so there is no dial tone.  Any suggestions?