[PLUG] new laptop

alan alan at clueserver.org
Mon Dec 4 23:10:10 UTC 2006

On Mon, 4 Dec 2006, Bruce Kilpatrick wrote:

> I recently bought my wife a new laptop.  It is an HP dv6125om with an AMD 64
> X2 TL-50.  It has NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150 (UMA) using 128M of shared memory.
> I wiped the hard drive and installed Kubuntu Edgy...
>
> I have done some research and come up with all kinds of instructions on how
> to install NVIDIA graphic drivers, but none that seem to work.  I used Adept
> to download and install nvidida-glx. nvidia-common-kernel(sp?) was already
> installed.  I rebooted and tried to follow the directions in Adept..."sudo
> nvidia-glx-config enable" and got the response..."unable to load nvidia
> kernel driver!  Be sure to have installed the nvidia driver for your running
> kernel."
>
> uname -a reports
>
> moose 2.6.17-10-generic #2 SMP Fri Oct 13 15:34:39 UTC 2006 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> I am thinking that you have had this discussion in the recent past.  Can
> someone point me to proper instructions, or the past discussion (I couldn't
> find in a quick search of the archives), or point out what I did wrong or
> didn't do, please?

I have a similar laptop.  I don't use Ubintu though.

Here is what I do to get it to work under Fedora.

Download the latest NVIDIA commerical driver.

Make sure the kernel-devel and xorg-sdk is installed.

Boot into runlevel 3.

Run the install package.  Make sure X has the current config for the new
drivers.

Start x by hand and see if it works.

If you are using Compiz/Beryl there are some extra options that need to be
set in the config file.  Email me and I can dig out the list.

--
Q: Why do programmers confuse Halloween and Christmas?
A: Because OCT 31 == DEC 25