[PLUG] SSH Experts Here?

Daniel Johnson teknotus at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 02:56:59 UTC 2006

On 12/5/06, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
>    I run only SSH2; version 1 is disabled. In the config files I specify that
> pass phrases are to be requested first, and passwords only if [Enter] is
> pressed at the first request. This used to work.
>
>    It stopped working a long time ago and my sporatic research has not found
> a reason. I've even sent e-mail to the supposed security gurus who write for
> linux publications, but have not received a reply.
>
>    Locally, using only a password is fine; we're behind the firewall and
> communications is among local hosts. But, when I'm away from the office I'd
> feel more comfortable typing my passphrase for access, especially on a
> wireless public network (or, public wireless network).
>
>    If you folks who deal with security have suggestions on how to debug this
> situation, please let me know.
>
> TIA,
>
> Rich

Hi Rich,

I find that usually problems using keys instead of passwords is a
permissions issue.  If anyone, or any group other than you, or root
has read or write access to the private key, or to the directory above
it, or if it has write access to the authorized_keys2 file it won't
work.  There is usually some kind of helpful message as to why ssh
didn't work as expected in /var/log/secure, especially if you up the
log level.
--
Dan