[PLUG] Linux XP...

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Wed Dec 6 23:34:17 UTC 2006

On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 13:45:48 -0800
someone <plug_0 at robinson-west.com> dijo:

> It appears to be built on top of Mandriva Linux.  It bothers me because
> the outfit promoting it requires the purchase of a EULA.  How can anyone
> slap a EULA on a Linux system?

I didn't read every word of their site, but it appears to be a desktop
that emulates Windows. Am I wrong about that? If so, I guess you can
make any software you want and charge for it if you feel like it.
Personally, I am happy with Ubuntu, but I can see a market for it. In
fact, if it really works just like Windows, I can see a huge market in
the corporate world. Of course, the interface probably doesn't work
exactly like Windows. But getting big organizations to switch to Linux
for the desktop is hindered by the training costs. If Linux XP can
eliminate at least most of that problem, it may help Linux make a large
dent in Microsoft's bottom line.

I might also venture that if it emulates the look and feel of Windows,
they may have some serious copyright issues.

Personally, I'm sticking with Ubuntu and Gnome.