[PLUG] LCD thingies

Elliott Mitchell ehem at m5p.com
Thu Dec 7 07:31:57 UTC 2006

>From: Russell Senior <russell at personaltelco.net>
>
> Elliott> It has been quite some time since I last saw a CRT die. I've
> Elliott> only been seeing them dumped due to replacement with lighter
> Elliott> LCDs, I pretty well haven't been seeing them /die/.
>
> Wil> Come to my house then.  I have a lovely 19" Hitachi CM771 that's
> Wil> got ants in its pixels.  It's about 5 years old; actually, the
> Wil> date of manufacture is July 2000.  Not to mention that I have yet
> Wil> to actually get the edges to line up correctly.
>
> I've got a lovely 19-inch Nokia Trinitron sitting un-plugged after it
> started making loud POPs a couple times a day.  The LCD is able to sit
> farther away, increasing the apparent dot-pitch.

I didn't say they didn't die, merely that they don't die quite as often
as Keith was suggesting. I suspect CRTs /may/ be more repairable than
LCDs as well, since it is possible to get at the electronics to repair
them (but don't quote me on that). I've seen a couple CRTs last 10 years
without needing any repairs. They do die, but they still last quite a
while.

What is the point of increasing apparent dot-pitch, when you decrease the
usable real estate? I'm interested in more pixels, not merely higher dpi.