[PLUG] soundfile formats hurting head

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Mon Dec 11 04:13:54 UTC 2006

hey all,

My google-fu has failed me- Asterisk gives three choices for the format for
recording voicemail files: wav49, gsm, and wav. wav49 is GSM-compressed wave-
both it and gsm are highly compressed, about one-tenth the size of wav files,
and are good-enough for voice recordings. wav is the best sound quality, but
it's way too fat. I'd like to use just wav49.

What I'm having trouble finding out is what client systems support them? wav
is everywhere, but is wav49 well-supported on Linux and Mac OSX? Can OSX and
windoze play gsm files without major tweakage?

thanks!
--
Carla Schroder