[PLUG] Run a simple script at KDE startup

Denis Heidtmann denish at dslnorthwest.net
Mon Dec 11 18:41:07 UTC 2006

Since setting the display power-off time is broken in systemsettings, I want to
run xset 0 60 120 when KDE is started.

Below is from KDE FAQ, with my comments.  Does the mismatch between what is
described in the FAQ and my system mean that the FAQ is out-of-date?  Does
anyone here know where I should place my little script so that it runs during
start-up?  I would prefer that it run for all users, but I can live with it
running just for a specific user.

Thanks,

-Denis

FAQ: How do I run a program at KDE startup?

There are many ways to do that. If what you want to do is to run some scripts
that would set some environment variables (for example, to start gpg-agent,
ssh-agent and others), you can put these scripts into $KDEHOME/env/ and make
sure their names end in .sh. $KDEHOME is usually a folder named .kde (note the
period at the beginning) in your home folder.

In my system, no ~/.kde/env exists.  ~/.kde does, but it contains 5 folders:
tmp-R2D2, socket-R2D2, share, cache-R2D2, and Autostart.

If you want scripts to be executed for all KDE users, you can put them under
$KDEDIR/env/, where $KDEDIR is the prefix KDE was installed to (you can find
this out using the command kde-config --prefix).

In my system, $KDEDIR is /usr.  No directory /usr/env exists either.