[PLUG] Wide-screen monitors

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 17:43:55 UTC 2006

On 12/12/06, Robert Kopp <iconoklastic at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm having more trouble than I expected getting a Samsung SyncMaster 225bw monitor (1680 x 1050) working with SuSE (using an Nvidia FX5500 graphics card). I would be interested in comments from anyone who has managed to get such a monitor working properly with Linux, for the display looks like the devil in any resolution other than the designated one.

(Disclaimer:  I learned to configure X when "gui app" meant xclock and
more than one terminal on the screen at a time... so there must be an
easier way to do things like add modelines / resolutions.)

Have you tried adding the correct resolution to the Screen section in
your /etc/X11/xorg.conf?  (If you open that file, you should see some
lines with a list of resolutions, "800x600" "1024x768" "1280x768" ...
etc.   Add a "1680x1050" in front of the left-most resolution to each
of these lines and try restarting X.)

If that doesn't work, you may need a modeline, which is beyond my knowledge.

--Rogan