[PLUG] Re: Ready for website creation tutorials

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Wed Dec 13 17:52:04 UTC 2006

>>>>> "John" == John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> writes:

John> OK, spent several hours last night at Powell's Technical Books. I
John> wasn't going for details, just trying to fill in some basics. I still
John> don't know what "CGI" means or "Perl as CGI," or "GET/POST" (quoting
John> Eric), nor do I know what Apache does, but at least I have a faint
John> understanding of the difference between server based v. browser based
John> scripting. And it appears the reigning server-based tool is PHP, while
John> Javascript is what is commonly used for browser-based scripts.

By "reigning" for PHP, you mean "more books and more buzz because there's more
interest by beginners", enabling a bigger marketplace for small cash.  Not in
terms of production for actual "more-than-ten-pages" sites.

John> At this point I think I need to make a basic decision: Do I want this
John> website to be server-based or browser based?

A website is *always* server-based.  Perhaps what you're trying to figure out
is how much javascript you want to download to the browser?

John> Another consideration is ease of access for students. I am continually
John> amazed at the computer illiteracy of fellow linguistics students. Does
John> everyone have a Javascript plugin on their browsers?

Yes, but they all work slightly differently. Welcome to Internet Hell.

John> Oh, and a final thought. I have no intention of changing careers and
John> becoming a web designer.

Perhaps you mean "web developer".  "web designer" is the person who spends
most of their time in Photoshop coming up with mocks, who then hands that
impossible layout to me for me to figure out how to do it with HTML and
Perl. :)