[PLUG] voip research contact..

Larry Brigman larry.brigman at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 19:02:58 UTC 2006

On 12/13/06, Aaron Baer <aaron at slyness.org> wrote:
> I have a person who has contacted me via the magic of the Internet who was
> looking for some Linux help which I was able to provide. However, she also
> has a question regarding..
>
> * *I wanna install NS (Network Simulator) and it works better on older
> versions of Linux
I have installed it on FC4 and FC5 machines without any real problems.  I used
the ns-allinone package version 2.29 and 2.30.  The 2.30 seems to have some
problems with the current version gcc installed on my FC4 box so I have stayed
with 2.29 for most of my work on doing testing.

> ...I'm currently working a project involving VOIP networks...I wanna design
> a model of a VOIP network using ATM as its backbone to use for simulation.I'm
> doing performance evaluations in VOIP networks on parameters that affect
> QoS( Quality of Service) in VOIP networks.Can NS 2 handle it?Or do you know
> what I can use to design the model?

The NS2 simulator is just that a tool to simulate networks and
interactions.  The
project has been around since ~1995 and has evolved.  The documentation
is somewhat sparse; geared for someone fairly good at understanding code and
will be extending the existing system to do something new.

In the 2.29 version it doesn't have any atm code in it.  VOIP is simulated using
udp traffic agents.  It is a very powerful system.  Don't expect to
understand it
all in just one reading and you will have to dive into the code.  It
took me about
two months of reading, asking questions and trying things until I understood
enough to accomplish my task.

> Is anyone here interested or able to provide any information regarding this
> topic. This person is in the UK and if you feel like you could provide some
> good feedback I'll get you in contact with each other.

The ns-users mailing list (and archives) some times has information
and I reply to it
helping get people up past the step after ./install.  It gives you a
lot to do that some
people don't understand if they don't program or use a Unix/Linux
environment on a
regular basis.  The wiki has pointers to most things.
http://nsnam.isi.edu/nsnam/index.php/Main_Page