[PLUG] linux clinic

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Dec 14 04:01:26 UTC 2006

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 17:32:02 -0800
Denis Heidtmann <denish at dslnorthwest.net> dijo:
> Rich Shepard wrote:
> > On Wed, 13 Dec 2006, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> >> I am downloading it as I write this. Will burn to CD for you, plus I'll
> >> leave the image on my hard drive in case anyone else needs one.

> >   OK! I could use a new hard drive.

> You would think that a linguistics major would know better.

LOL

Actually, according to my Structure of English textbook, the antecedent
needs to be in the same immediate clause only if the proform is a
reflexive. Elsewise, English allows it to be anywhere, even in
postposition removed. The caveat, however, is that the further distant
the antecedent the more likely ambiguity will result. But ambiguity is
the fun part of language. Without ambiguity much of humor would not be
possible. :)