[PLUG] Wide-screen monitors

Robert Kopp iconoklastic at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 14 08:47:21 UTC 2006

From: Russ Johnson <russj at dimstar.net>
To: "General Linux/UNIX discussion and help, civil and on-topic" <plug at lists.pdxlinux.org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 13, 2006 2:12:24 PM
Subject: Re: [PLUG] Wide-screen monitors

Something else I thought of.

What resolutions are working?

Do you have enough memory on your video card to support the mode you are
trying?

Actually, what happened (on SuSE) is that I was able to get the 1680 x 1050, but the sweep frequency was much too high (89 Hz, and I couldn't bring it down to the necessary 60 Hz). I made these adjustments with another monitor, of course!

On a 21" monitor, the Nvidia FX5500 will actually support 2048 x 1536. It's a better monitor than the new one, but the amount of space it takes up is a problem.

On FreeBSD, which is somewhat different, the monitor worked at 1600 x 1200 (VESA standard 4/3). It looked pretty good, too, but I was afraid that the overclocking would damage the monitor.