[PLUG] steam powered clinic bonus

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Sat Dec 16 20:32:33 UTC 2006

>>>>> "Galen" == Galen Seitz <galens at seitzassoc.com> writes:

Galen> If you've never seen one of the city of Portland's steam
Galen> engines, tomorrow(Sat. too) is a great opportunity to do so.
Galen> The SP 4449 will be running between Oaks Park and the base of
Galen> the Ross Island bridge.  The tracks run next to the Springwater
Galen> Corridor trail.  Last Sunday I rode my bike alongside the SP&S
Galen> 700 engine.  Despite the rain, it was a great experience.

Galen> http://www.orhf.org/events/06holiday/index.html

Galen> If you have questions, feel free to email me.

I can tell you with good authority that biking along side is likely to
be a Vastly More Interesting Experience(tm) than riding *on* the
train.  The boys and I did that last weekend, and we might as well
have been on an elevator, albeit one with nice windows.  We were
directed to the far end of the train, a nice old dining car, but the
only clue we had that the train was being pushed by a steam engine
were the occasional faint whistle toots, and the occasional vague
glimpses of steam far away when we went around curves.  I am glad to
have contributed to their fund-raising, but the ride itself could be
described in two words: "boon" & "doggle".  Or slightly more
verbosely: "45 minutes of my life I will never get back again."

;-)

--
Russell Senior, Secretary
russell at personaltelco.net