[PLUG] In my CUPS again

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sun Dec 17 01:28:01 UTC 2006

The current problem is that CUPS seems to have a limit of 100 copies
per print job. I've searched all the documentation I can find in order
to verify or refute this, but the documentation says nothing on the
subject. All I know is that no print job is created whenever I try to
print over 100 copies. No error message; just nothing happens. If there
is such a limit, it's insane. The number of copies I am allowed to
print is a matter for discussion with my paper supplier and banker, not
the computer software.

While researching the above problem I found some other interesting
stuff. For some time I have been trying to get jobs to print with job
offset from Adobe Reader 7.08. Adobe Reader does not seem to be aware
of CUPS -- for example there is no drop-down list of installed
printers. To print to my Laserjet-8000-Series-Postscript-(recommended)
printer I have to type in the following command:

lpr -P Laserjet-8000-Series-Postscript-(recommended) -# 100

I went to http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/options.html where I
discovered some syntax for other options. The syntax for job offset was
not listed, but it did suggest that "lpoptions -p
LaserJet-8000-Series-Postscript-(recommended) -l" would give me a list
of options for the printer. I was hoping that the command would then
list the official term for job offset, so I tried it. Unfortunately,
the command gave me:

jjj at Devil5:~$ lpoptions -p
LaserJet-8000-Series-Postscript-(recommended) -l
bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('

I should add that I can print with job offset from any other program,
including Kpdf. In fact, I'd use Kpdf all the time except that its
print speed is slower than the second coming.

Does anyone know of an alternative command (lpr version of lpoptions?)
that might get me a list of options for this printer. I mean, I *know*
what options the printer has -- I've printed over 2.5 million copies to
it -- but I need to know what to call "job offset" from a command line.

TIA for any suggestions