[PLUG] In my CUPS again

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Sun Dec 17 18:00:28 UTC 2006

On Sat, Dec 16, 2006 at 05:28:01PM -0800, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> The current problem is that CUPS seems to have a limit of 100 copies
> per print job. I've searched all the documentation I can find in order
> to verify or refute this, but the documentation says nothing on the
> subject. All I know is that no print job is created whenever I try to
> print over 100 copies. No error message; just nothing happens. If there
> is such a limit, it's insane. The number of copies I am allowed to
> print is a matter for discussion with my paper supplier and banker, not
> the computer software.

I will be bringing a little printer to the clinic to fool around with
CUPS, and we can fix up your problem as well (though we will interrupt
the printer before it prints 100 copies!).

There is a file, /etc/cups/cupsd.conf on my machine, which sets this.
The config line is about 200 lines down on my system:

   #MaxCopies 100

Which one can uncomment and change to:

   MaxCopies 1000000

... and kill a small forest.  CUPS will need to be restarted;  on my
Redhattish machine that is done (as root) with

   service cups restart

and on a debianish machine that is probably

   /etc/init.d/cups restart

... although Ubuntu probably has a GUI that does the same thing.

When you think about it, changing such options should not be an easily
accessable option for most people;  accidentally setting it very high
would make many people angry when they made a mistake, so it is proper
to require some text editor work to get there,  In any case, no
rebooting is required;  a properly set up Linux system only needs
rebooting when changing kernels or hardware or power sources.

BTW, folks should know that John authors and sells books on real estate,
and does print-on-demand, which is easier to manage with a laser printer
than with a copier.  Why he doesn't get a linotype and typeset with hot
lead in his basement I'll never know, but I suppose it is because Ubuntu
doesn't have drivers for 1890's technology.

Keith