[PLUG] UPS

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Tue Dec 19 22:28:50 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-12-19 at 04:19 -0800, Ed Sawicki wrote:
> I'm trying to choose UPS makes and models that I will
> support in the Linux systems I install at customer sites.
> I know there are many that include the vendor's software
> for Linux. However, I'm interested in those that allow me
> to monitor the UPS programatically, such as /proc entries,
> an API, or something similar. Software that only allows a
> human to interact with a GUI display is useless to me.
> Any personal experiences?

Ed,

I've had good luck with APC.  I'd suggest looking at Network UPS Tools
(NUT) and finding out which modules it supports and, if you're so
inclined, give preference to companies supporting the project.

http://www.networkupstools.org/

In addition to manager and agents for shutting systems down, it provides
a web interface and a command-line interface.  At one job, I had an
add-in card from APC that monitored temperature and humidity and it
provided that data also.

At one time, I had Net-SNMP configured to use the CLI to make the data
available through SNMP and graphed it with Cricket.  I still have the
top-level Cricket config file and a sample host file.

Wil
--
Wil Cooley <wcooley at nakedape.cc>
http://nakedape.cc