[PLUG] WipeInfo Equivalent

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Wed Dec 20 01:29:13 UTC 2006

On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 05:02:34PM -0800, Richard C. Steffens wrote:
> Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
>
> > Not sure if it is included on Knoppix but all my Redhatian based systems
> > have shred.
>
> > The man page mentions issue with several file systems but I don't think
> > it would be a problem for you.  That is if you're planning on a complete
> > wipe of the partition(s)?
>
> No. They still want XP running when I'm done. They just want to erase a
> lot of data.

Five things:
1. That's a strange thing to ask for on a Linux/Unix Group list.
2. That said, you should be able to use a Linux bootcd and shred.
3. If you want a 'Doze-ish solution, google for secure delete windows.
4. That said, there'll be enough of the data lying around from older,
   deleted versions of the files that you'd best just wipe with dd or
   badblocks and reinstall.  Winders needs regular reinstalls anyway.
5. If you can't reinstall Winders because of license issues, might I
   suggest some nice Linux desktops?