[PLUG] Version Control and Open Office Documents

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Wed Dec 20 18:06:59 UTC 2006

How about a mashup of Open Office with a version control system, like
GIT or Subversion?

Open Office Writer has a function "Edit - Compare Document", which
does a function similar to the merge operations of GIT or SVN.  Open
Office can be controlled from the command line, using the API, so it
should be possible to do differencing and merging from a hook script
in the version control system.  This would make Open Office documents
as compatable with version control as plain text files, and provide a
powerful incentive for organizations to move from Word to Open Office.

I imagine consultants could make big bucks teaching organizations how
to do this.  Anyone interested in helping me figure this out?

Keith