[PLUG] Unexpected shutdown

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Dec 21 00:28:04 UTC 2006

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006, John Jason Jordan wrote:

> Dec 18 14:17:29 localhost kernel: [75351.528067] opera[21469]: segfault

   Perhaps the fat lady has sung.

> Also, how does one run fsck? You can't run it on a mounted partition,
> right? But I have to be booted into Linux to use it. Is the normal
> procedure to use a live CD?

   Or, as root, switch to run level 1 (single user mode) by typing 'telinit
1' (without the quotes). After the system shuts down multiuser mode (run
levels 3 and 5, usually), you'll get a root login prompt. Login and see
what's mounted. You can then unmount a partition and run the appropriate
fsck on it.

   When you're all finished, you can 'telinit 3' (or 'telinit 5') and return
to what you were doing.