[PLUG] Kubuntu Time Problem

Aaron Ten Clay aaron at madebyai.com
Thu Dec 21 20:51:26 UTC 2006

On Thursday 21 December 2006 06:02, Michael Rasmussen wrote:
> Aaron Ten Clay wrote:
> > My mother's computer is exhibiting a strange problem, and I'm not
> > familiar enough with Kubuntu/Debian to figure it out. Whenever the PC is
> > powered down, it comes back up with the system clock being hours off. I'm
> > guessing what's happening is the RTC is being written UTC at shutdown and
> > being read as local at startup.
>
> Yep. In Kubuntu:
> K Menu ->
> System Settings ->
> System Administration section Date & Time ->
> Enter administrator mode with the button on the lower right ->
> Select timezone ->
> Close
>
> Pretty easy

Checked that, it's currently set to Los Angeles which is correct.

> How old is the computer?  Lost clock setting is usually a sign of a
> dying battery.
>
> - tony

The computer is about 4 months old, no other signs of failing battery.

I'm 99% sure this is a problem with however it's setting the system clock from
the hardware clock. On other distros you can configure someplace on the
system whether the RTC stores UTC or local time, and the hwclock call at
shutdown will take that into account. I'll check the BIOS later to see if
it's being written incorrectly or read incorrectly.

I read the debian README about the hwclock init script and it doesn't say
anything about these settings.

Thanks for the ideas so far.

- Aaron