[PLUG] BSD Network Stack in Windows - was WipeInfo Equivalent

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Fri Dec 22 15:09:01 UTC 2006

m0gely wrote:
> someone wrote:
>> I've heard credible rumors that Microsoft redid the network stack in
>> Vista because the Windows 2000 stack was directly lifted from BSD.  I
>> wonder if Microsoft violated any BSD licensing terms and is trying
>> to cover that up?
>
> You're right on this.  No one knows if it's true, but wouldn't that be a
> nice courtroom discussion to sit in on! ;)

IIRC, this was discussed a few years back (although a quick Google
search for it in the archives didn't turn it up). Someone did a
character search on the Windows code and found the BSD text required by
the BSD license. So, I don't think there was a violation. Unless I'm
mistaken, the BSD license lets anyone do anything they want with the
code, as long as they acknowledge where they got it.

A Google search on Windows "BSD Network Stack" turns up a bunch of
entries, the first of which (for me) was about a Symantec report on
security problems with the new Vista network stack.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens