[PLUG] Wide-screen monitors

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Fri Dec 22 15:19:49 UTC 2006

On Thu, Dec 21, 2006 at 11:35:53PM -0800, Robert Kopp wrote:
> I am thinking about getting a wide-screen TFT monitor, probably
> with a resolution of 1680 x 1050 (WUXGA). I have heard > conflicting
> reports as to the adaptability of Linux to such a monitor.  Is it
> likely that it would work with native resolution of the monitor?
> Are there any potential pitfalls?

Check the archives; we had quite a discussion about this about a month
ago.  The quick answer is that while some distros combined with some
video boards might not automagically recognize an "odd" size like
1680x1050, you can easily talk to that or any other flat screen
resolution if you use the right video driver and fiddle with the X
configuration.  Chances are, though, it will "just work".

You will probably want to buy a DVI video card if you do not already
have one, and that might be slightly tricky - the addon video cards
are mostly for gamers, and burn a lot of power and cost a bunch.  To
get something lower power, I bought four used boards from the store
at Free Geek and tested them until I found the best one.

But again, check the archives, we discussed this.

Keith