[PLUG] Separating out MySQL and Apache to different boxes?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Dec 22 16:24:50 UTC 2006

On Fri, 22 Dec 2006, Tim Garton wrote:

> I am wondering if you think it wiser to have one server act as the
> database server for all these apps and the other server act as the
> webserver for them all, or to break it out so that each server acts as a
> database and webserver and serves up half the apps?

Tim,

   What situation are you trying to avoid?

   From your description, all applications are mission critical. If that's
correct, then the company cannot afford to lose any single piece for more
than a coffee break. In this situation it makes more sense to replicate
everything on a separate box so if one goes down the other remains up and
folks are still productive.

   If that's not the case, but you're trying to spread a heavy load for beter
rsponse times, then partitioning the tools between the two systems makes
more sense.