[PLUG] Separating out MySQL and Apache to different boxes?

Tim Garton garton.tim at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 17:17:53 UTC 2006

See below:

On 12/22/06, Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Dec 2006, Tim Garton wrote:
>
> You haven't given us enough information to be good back-seat drivers.
> :-)
>
> * How resource-intensive are your Apache applications? Bugzilla, RT,
>   and wiki software needn't be a huge burden if configured correctly
>   -- but they can chew lots of CPU if they get busy.

Apache applications aren't too resource intensive.  The two boxes that are
currently hosting most of these look like their load sits around .4 (P4 with
hyperthreading)

* How big/busy are your databases?

Databases aren't that large in size(< 2GB), but are pretty busy.  The box
hosting the dev db has a load > 9.  Granted, this is on a Celeron 2.5GHz box
with a gig of ram, hence the need to upgrade:)

* How robust and fast is the network connecting the boxes?

The network between the boxes is currently 100MB, but I think I can get the
company to spring for a Gig switch in the next couple of weeks.

* How much downtime can you stand?

I'd say 4 hours at the most

If a single box has the horsepower and I/O bandwidth to handle it all,
> and uptime is a Real Need, I'd consolidate onto one server, making the
> second a hot spare using database replication and, perhaps, heartbeat
> or something similar.

Yeah, after your comments and those of Rich and Michael, this is the way I'm
leaning.  Thanks.