[PLUG] Separating out MySQL and Apache to different boxes?

Kris krisa at subtend.net
Fri Dec 22 23:53:08 UTC 2006

Aaron Burt wrote:
> OTOH, web-apps usually use RDBMSes for storage, and it'd be silly for
> someone writing a web-app to not understand the basics.  Mind, they
> won't learn it in university (too practical) and they won't learn it on
> the job unless they're forced to.

I'm not a web-app developer nor a dba, but why should web-developers
need to be db experts?

For most of the web applications that are simple and useful, things such
as adodb (or other language specific db api's) and a wiki full of
examples should provide enough to keep a developer creating a useful app.

If the developer is code competent, I would like to see more time spent
on security, UI design, and unit testing.

Now, if you're running critical applications on allocated CPU time on
WOPR.. maybe you need to be competent in all aspects of your
application.  Does apache even run on WOPR?[1] ;)

[1] Probably.. but you will need NetBSD first.

--
I'm just a packet pusher.