[PLUG] Separating out MySQL and Apache to different boxes?

Kurt Sussman plug at merlot.com
Sat Dec 23 05:22:35 UTC 2006

Kris (krisa at subtend.net) typed this ...
> Kurt Sussman wrote:
> > Don't tell me, let me guess. You're a Rails developer, right?
>
> Nope.  "I'm not a web-app developer nor a dba".  Rails is a ruby
> framework for web-apps.

Sorry; I forgot the smiley there. I'm learning Rails now, and it IS an
interesting framework. or rather, set of opinions. One of the opinions
is that you can fix most database problems with hardware. And it's true,
you can. But it's not elegant, and (cue DHH flying into a rage) it
doesn't scale.

> > For most web apps that are simple and useful, each developer is probably
> > creating their own tables and crafting their own queries, right? Don't
> > you think it's reasonable to expect them to have a clue how the database
> > works?
>
> I agree.  A clue, or even more than a clue is always needed in such a
> project.  I think more of my point is the level of expertise.  If a
> project reaches a point of complexity that requires a heavy look at the
> database design, and SQL optimization, I'm going to team up someone who
> has that expertise, not expect it from every developer.

OK, I'll go with the team approach, up to a point. In my experience, the
best developers know enough about everything they're working with to
make good decisions, and to improve on the sub-optimal ones.

One of the best programmers I ever worked with said that programmers do
two things: debugging and enbugging. Enbugging is relatively easy, and
does not require much knowledge outside of the syntax of your chosen
language (this is clearly a ridiculous exaggeration, OK?).  Debugging,
on the other hand, requires deep knowledge of almost everything your
code touches. Ergo a programmer can be more productive with a deeper
understanding of databases, if the app touches a database.

> Ouch.  A jab from an attempt at humor.  In my case billable competency
> is a team effort.

I didn't intend for that to be a personal attack. My apologies.

--Kurt